[Sca-cooks] Feeding Kids Re: OT - Somewhat amusing

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Oct 19 12:05:53 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 12:26:52PM -0600, Georgia Foster wrote:
> *** BUTTON ALERT *** RANT WARNING *** BUTTON ALERT *** RANT WARNING ***
> Call me a meaniehead, my children do, but my children also eat that which
> is set before them.  Period.  No arguments.
>
> Some may find my rule ? harsh. It very likely is.  I am fine with that.
> The rule was developed at a time when we were financially not able to
> provide alternate sources of nutrition for the children to choose from.

I live with a lifelong dieter and 2 picky eaters, one of them an adult
who will eat most anything as long as it isn't juicy meat, though he
claims he only likes kielbasa, and the other a seven-year-old.

Eating in our family has been a long drawn out issue; at one point the
7yearold was getting a completely different meal from everyone else,
then we only ate what she would eat, and now we compromise, though we
still have the list of the small number of foods she will eat, and we
make kielbasa for the Adult because we got tired of torturing good meat
to baked-death for him.

Clearly child has inherited picky-eater-ness. Also, there's a dieter's
maxim about 'Don't force baby to eat' (Child worked that one to her
advantage until we figured out she was saving room for dessert every
night...)

I was brought up that you didn't have to eat everything, though you were
supposed to get a no-thank-you helping of everything on the table and
eat that, but you made your dinner out of the people food that was
served. I was also trained to think of food in terms of variety and
different nutrients, as well as price. (Calories and starchiness were a
major factor.)

We may be the only family I know whose child's view of what was
acceptable food was broadened by school food.

This drives me insane. She's not even my child, but it drives me insane.
Gibbering. I need to get a grip on this. And then I think, "She won't
eat soup. Any kind of soup. Or stew. Soup, for god's sake!" and I go
over the edge.

Gibber gibber argh arghhhhhhhhhhhh.....

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net