[Sca-cooks] 10th C. Cornish?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 23 23:33:00 PDT 2006

Am Montag, 23. Oktober 2006 18:47 schrieb Cat Dancer:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
> > On Oct 23, 2006, at 9:51 AM, grizly wrote:
> >> Also get clarification as to what 12th centruey means . . .
> >> Europeans and
> >> Americans use that differently, one is 100's and one is 1200's.
> >
> > Here, I've got to disagree with you. I don't think most people that
> > take history seriously to any extent would consider calling the
> > 1200's the 12th century. Let's not blame this on the Americans; it's
> > just wrong wherever you encounter it. I sincerely _hope_ the person
> > setting up contest criteria isn't using the term in that way.
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> Actually, in some European countries, most notably Germany, that *is* how
> they designate time periods. Thus, the 12th century refers to 1200-1299
> rather than 1100-1199. I run across this in my costume research all the
> time. It's really annoying to find a nifty thing that is labeled 13th
> century, only to find out that the source is German and thus it's
> actually what we call 14th century.

Not lately. There was a fashion for the slightly confusing '12ooer' I think in
the 60s, but the standard German usage is identical to English.

However, some earlier German historians had a habit of dating artwork early,
so some confusion may arise from this (such as the persistent habnit of
calling the Codex Manesse '13. Jahrhundert")

Italian, IIRC, has both systems with the 'quattrocento' being the 15th century
in scholarly talk. I'm nort sure if this is due to Engklish influence or
simply an older European habit.

YIS

Giano