[Sca-cooks] 10th C. Cornish?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 24 04:57:35 PDT 2006

They are talking Cornwall before the Conquest, which is not very related to
Anglo-Saxon England.  It's Brythonic Celt with a language and culture closer
to that of Wales.

Bear

Cornish is very tough as it's not that distinctly different in the long run
from English or British. Somehow I don't think that titles like the
*The Poldark cookery book /*
*Author: *Graham, Jean M.; Graham, Winston. *Publication: *[St. Albans]
: Triad Granada, 1981
are going to be of help.

Amazon.uk has a number of in print ones but none I fear are going to
be medieval Cornish. Look under Cornwall and cookery.

16th century I can locate a couple things. By that time you can search
EEBO and there's also material in Harrison. Also --
Carew, Richard, 1555-1620.
Title The survey of Cornwall / by Richard Carew ; edited by John
Chynoweth, Nicholas Orme & Alexandra Walsham.
Publisher/year Exeter : Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 2004.
Physical descr. 1 v. (various pagings) : ill., 1 col. port. ; 24 cm.
Series ( Devon and Cornwall Record Society (Series) ; vol.47)
Bibliography etc. Includes index.

There was a book originally done in the 1890's that concentrated on
Cornish cookery. One of those folklore volumes. It's been reprinted a
few times.

Courtney, Margaret Ann, 1834-1920.
Title Cornish feasts and folk-lore / M.A. Courtney.
Publisher/year Penzance : Oakmagic, 1998.
Physical descr. viii, 208 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
General note
Facsim. of ed. published: Penzance : Beare and Son, 1890.
"Revised and reprinted from the Folk-Lore Society Journals, 1886-87".
Bibliography etc. Includes index. Subject Folklore—England--Cornwall

There are some new books on just Celtic Cornwall—

Filbee, Marjorie. Celtic Cornwall /
London : Constable, 1996.  Physical descr. 224p. : ill.,
ports. ; 22 cm.

But I can't say how much or what they have on food.
Other volumes that could be looked at:

Wood, Jacqui. *Prehistoric Cooking*. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK and
Charleston, SC: Tempus, 2001. The early Celts left no cookbooks, but a
number of European sites still attempt to recreate the daily life of
prehistoric Europe. This work describes what they ate and drank in
England from non-recipe sources, including archaeological remains. With
“recipes” devised by the author from her experiences recreating the
foods and drinks that might have been eaten.

Alcock, Joan P. *Food in Roman Britain*. Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK and
Charleston, SC: Tempus, 2001. Presents archaeological evidence for what
the Romans ate in Britain. 192 pages with photos.

Banham, Debby. *Food in Anglo-Saxon Britain*. Stroud, Gloucestershire,
UK: Tempus, 2004. There are no surviving Anglo-Saxon cookbooks. This
work describes what they ate and drank in England from non-recipe sources.

C. Anne Wilson's Food and Drink in Britain may provide an overview for you
and Colin Spencer's British Food may also be interesting.
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/023113/0231131100.HTM

Hope this helps,

Johnnae