[Sca-cooks] Seeking Simple Spiced Cakes

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Oct 25 12:43:54 PDT 2006

Not sure that it is possible. A lot of the in period "cakes"
are yeast risen cakes with spices that resemble spiced breads.
You also get fine cakes or small cakes.
There's a pound cake recipe (actually it calls for 2 pounds each of
butter, flour, sugar, plus eggs, rosewater, and 2 pounds of currants)
in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. The manuscripts that
make up the book are dated as Tudor-Jacobean or roughly 1580-1625
by the editor Karen Hess. These are baked in buttered pans, but the size
is not stated. See recipe S 149, pages 314-315.
You might be able to add spices to that.
Stefan has a file
cakes-msg – 6/30/06 _
_that ought to cover the descriptions.

Johnnae_