[Sca-cooks] *Sigh* That tomato thing - again

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 2 12:35:46 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
list are
heavily into documentation and know their stuff, it really isn't an issue,
but during a demo, or in a group where there's a more even range of
"experts" and "non-experts" a discussion regarding documentation is a very
touchy situation, often causing those who are just learning to have their
eyes glaze over and scratch their heads in confusion.  For a Demo, I'd
respectfully suggest a note or statement that although there is limited
evidence showing that X did exist in the time period we recreate, it's
generally accepted that use of X was not commonplace.

Elizabeta < < < < < <<

In our area, SCA groups put on demos and have displays and demonstrations of
what they believe to be representative of pieces of the time/places they are
into.  (SCA people being dressed up and presenting themselves become de
facto 'experts' in this relationship) If people doing such a thing have no
accountability at all to research what they presenting as fact, then
goodness knows what will be doffed as the gospel on lycra spandex in 1500
french court garments.  Doctoral dissertations aside, it seems prudent that
anyone in our organization making some public claim of something as "being
so" should be able to present the foundation of their assertions.
Otherwise, we run the risk of devolving into a group of lunatic fringists
who get weatched by the FBI and spout goofball revisionist history . . . or
at least having to deal with more of these local and small private groups
than already exist.

niccolo difrancesco

(it's all about what you are doing and why you are doing it.  If you make
claims publicly, then there will be a call to account for your claims)