[Sca-cooks] Just how far are we to go? was Re: *Sigh* That tomato thing - again

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 18:33:34 PDT 2006

I have been reading the abundance of messages on the tomato subject.  It is my humble
opinion that this is the answer one should give if one is asked if tomatos were 'period':
"Tomatos were brought over to Europe from the New World as curiosities.  While they were
known in scientific circles, they weren't commonly used or accepted by the average person
(either noble or commoner) in post-Columbian Europe until well after the SCA eras of study."

This has led me to think about other New World items that were commonly accepted.  One of
them was tobacco.  There was very early acceptance of tobacco as an herb to smoke and as
a medicine.  Recipes for their use can be found in greater abundance than for tomatos. There
is evidence that tobacco was used by commoners [i.e. sailors and doctors] long before the
nobility became addicted.

While I am NOT trying to advocate the use of tobacco in the SCA, for whatever reasons,
tobacco is overlooked as an item to be used to add as an element for the SCA "atmosphere".
I, personally, don't smoke and I don't like being around smokers because all that smoke
makes me cough.  I know why people don't advocate smoking as an SCA activity.  But then
when people start trying to advocate using tomatos and tomato products for SCA banquets,
I cringe and wonder about how far we should go.  I wonder how many more people would
scream to high heaven if I would make a latakia pie than if I would make a tomato pie.
Sigh... Snerk... Cough...

Huette

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/