[Sca-cooks] pimps and harlots omelet?

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Tue Oct 3 00:22:34 PDT 2006

>Hi all from Anne-Marie
>
>Someone referred to the recipe below and asked me if it was period. I have
>to admit I'm not familiar with the source mentioned in the tertiary docs and
>you will note that they don't include the original translation so I cant
>check it for accuracy.
>
>Any ideas where this comes from?
>Thanks!

According to The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy by
Odile Redon, Francoise Sabban & Silvano Serventi, University of
Chicago Press, 1998, it is #738 in "Le 'Registre de Cuisine' de Jean
de Bockenheim, cuisinier du pape Martin V," edited by Bruno Laurioux,
in Melanges de l'Ecole francaise de Rome (Moyen Age, Temps modernes)
100, no. 2 (1988): 709-60. I admit to not knowing exactly what that
means (G).

In their introduction to the recipe, they say Bockenheim was cook to
Pope Martin V and in the 1430s wrote a brief by  highly original
cookbook.

And their translation of the orginal text is: How to make an orange
omelette. Take eggs and break them, with oranges, as many as you
like; squeeze their juice and add it to the eggs with sugar; then
take olive oil or fat, and heat it in the pan and add the eggs. This
was for ruffians and brazen harlots.

The original Latin or Italian text is also in The Medieval Kitchen.

Is that what you were seeking?

We tried it for a feast a handful of years ago. It met mixed reviews
-- people either liked it or definitely didn't.

Morgana yr Oerfa

I can't believe I actually recognized the recipe and could lay hands
on my cookbook! It was hiding just last week when I went looking for
it...
--
Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy
is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do. --Savielly