[Sca-cooks] Favorite Spice Containers

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Oct 5 22:32:37 PDT 2006

I would be very hesitant about using cork covered jars for spices and
the like. Corks, by their nature, allow an exchange of the air within
and without the bottle, thus allowing the essential oils, the
flavoring agents, of most spices to escape. Corks work very well for
wine bottles, where you want a certain amount of exchange, albeit a
very limited amount, so the wines can age, but wine bottles are also
kept on their sides so that they remain wet, thus swelling the corks
and keeping the exchange very limited.A dry cork, however, will allow
considerably more air exchange, and aging is NOT very good for spices,
particularly powdered ones.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....