[Sca-cooks] Ketchup Catsup quotes

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 6 10:36:22 PDT 2006

OED online lists it under the entry of Catsup for the 1690 quotation

*1690* B. E. /Dict. Cant. Crew/, /Catchup/, a high East-India Sauce
Ketchup in OED starts with post 1700 quotes but they have missed
have a few earlier ones.
It's a rather fun word to explore and if one goes exploring thru EEBO-TCP
one can find such mentions as these:
The mysteries of opium reveal'd by Dr. John Jones from 1700

Titillating, with realish|ing and high Sauces, Oisters, Anchovy,
Caviare, Cockles, Ketchup, Mango's, Garlick, Onions, Leeks, Bears
Garlick, Rocket, Sives, Shelot, Ginger, Aro|maticks..

Moral and political fables, ancient and modern done into measured prose
intermixed with ryme by Dr. Walter Pope. from 1698

Vinellii, Pigniates, Pistaccios, / Parmisan Cheese, Botargo, Caveare, /
And Ketchup, which will make you please your Wife, / And several other
Dishes, whose strange Names ...

And Ketchup, which will make you please your Wife ????

Johnnae