[Sca-cooks] Smoked Meats in Northern Europe

Jehan-Yves jehan.yves at signofthetiger.com
Fri Oct 6 14:51:43 PDT 2006

At 12:51 PM 10/6/2006, you wrote:
>Greetings all,
>             I have a question for the knowledgeable assembly:
>             What woods would have been used to smoke meats and fish in
>Northern Europe around the turn of the millennium?

(SNIP)

>  are:  maple, poplar, alder, hickory, oak and cherry.
>
>             I am pretty sure maples are New World only, and I know
>cherries were a part of the Norse diet.  Obviously oak was around, but
>I'm not sure about poplar, alder, or hickory.
>(SNIP)
         You can try looking up wood on this site:
http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/
         It looks like Alder is good, European Cherry is in, Hickory
is out, and poplar is in. You were correct that Maple is New World.
         They may not have the exact species that you will have in
the Southern US but they do have European varieties.

Jehan-Yves