[Sca-cooks] Smoked Meats in Northern Europe

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 14:15:20 PDT 2006

Years ago, before the squirrels moved in, we would get about two or three
paper grocery bags full of unshelled pecans in a bumper year. One paper grocery
bag full in a good year.  With our tree, the cycle was good year, bumper year,
good year, resting year.  Our tree is in the south east corner of our lot.
So we share the bounty with three neighbors, most of whom didn't do anything
with the nuts.  I have no idea of how much the whole tree produced, but
guestimating I would put it at at least six grocery bags full, if not more.

Our tree is healthy, if full of squirrels.  I have had an arborist look at it.
The tree is probably about 100 years old.  It was a healthy mature tree when
our house was built in 1947.  It is reasonably away from our house and our neighbors
so that the roots get plenty of water and nutrition.  Unfortunately, because it is
so tall, should it get blown over, it will do damage to someone's property.  But we
are not prone to strong, gale-force winds, so I am hoping that the tree will survive
me.  It is quite a landmark in our neighborhood and can be seen several blocks away.
Hmmmm... I wonder how old it has to be to be called an historic landmark?  Hmmmm....

Huette

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I never saw many pecans off of my tree, but this part of town had a very
> large, fat squirrel population.
>
> Bear
>
> > Pecans bear greatest every other year.
> > Christianna
> > Who, until Hurrican Opal, had two 100-year old pecan trees in neighbor's
> > yards that provided bi-annual nut harvests

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/