[Sca-cooks] Last minute help for Viking pancakes

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 20:39:34 PDT 2006

Here in Sweden the classical pancakes, eaten every Thursday with a
soup with yellow peas, are done with lard instead than berries, but
they are baked, as your receipt tells. It's more a cake than we know
as a modern pancake or crepe.
Ana

On 10/10/06, King's Taste Productions <kingstaste at comcast.net> wrote:
> Has anyone tried this recipe off of the Viking Answer Lady's website?  I
> just got it out of the oven, and it is not wonderful.  The proportions
> just have to be wrong, but I'm not sure what sort of product I should be
> looking for.   There is no sweetener or leavener called for.  (I used
> blueberries – no lingonberries to be found in town today). Any ideas?
> Christianna
>
> Pancake with Berries
> This recipe comes from Vikingars Gästabud (The Viking Feast), and is for
> four servings.
> Ingredients
> 2/3 cup white flour
> 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 2-1/2 cups milk
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 1 cup lingonberries or bilberries
> Turn on the oven to 425°F (225°C). Whisk the batter together without the
> butter and stir in the berries.  Melt the butter in a heat-resistant
> baking pan and pour it in the batter. Bake it in the middle of the oven
> for about 20-25 minutes until the pancake has a nice color.  Cut it into
> pieces and serve with some jam.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci