[Sca-cooks] Lainie's vigil was Re: Weather

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Oct 12 11:18:35 PDT 2006

At 06:37 AM 10/12/2006, you wrote:
>So, when ya gonna tell us all the details, girlfriend? ;oD
>--Maire, imagining that condensation would be a pain in the patootie in a
>canvas tent!

Well, my pavilion is actually nylon Supplex, which breathes well but the
moisture beads up instead of soaking in- and drops on you! It was rather funny!

I have a variety of primary texts on Chivalry, and several of them have
details on the vigil before being knighted. Since as far as I'm concerned,
the three Peerages are all the equivalent of knighthood, the vigil docs are
equally applicable. So I went through and cobbled together a plausibly
period ceremony for the vigil bath, and went from there. (If anyone is
interested in seeing the ceremony, email me offlist and I can send you the
Word doc.)

My sweetie brought his French bell so that we could have a place to sleep
without dragging all of our stuff in and out of the tent. We set up the
poster frame from my bed inside the blue pavilion, and put the bathtub (a
plastic 140 gal stock tank- perfect size and shape for one adult) inside
the frame- with the bed curtains it afforded quite a bit of privacy for the
bather. We borrowed one of those giant 2-burner propane stoves (something
like 30k BTU) and heated water in big stock pots. I put herbs and such in
the tub before adding the water (sage, rosemary, mint, lemon balm, some
oregano blooms, rose petals and a little rose water) so as the hot water
was poured in, we had scented steam- the smell was heavenly. :-)

The ceremony going into, during, and exiting from was a series of readings
and recited Latin prayers. We even incorporated the pre dieu, which was way
cool. My friend Katrine (who is also being Laurelled at Yule feast) went
first. She didn't want to get out of the tub. :-) I went next, but the boyz
got my water a bit (ok, more than a bit) too hot and even after adding more
cold, it was hard to sit and scrub. But I managed. We all stumbled a bit
over our Latin (even the herald, who was my student Laurence) and there was
lots of joking around, but it was all really pretty special and I'm glad we
did it.

After the baths were done, the boyz emptied the tub again and we dismantled
the bedframe, and set up chairs and such in the pavilion, for peers to come
and talk to us. We'd planned to stay up all night, but it was so cold that
we packed it in about 4 and crawled into our beds. I was so cold I dreamed
that someone said that is was -60 and I believed them! (That's cold!)

One of the best parts? Getting up in the morning and having leftovers for
breakfast! Yum! Mushroom tarts and White Torta and marzipan for breakfast!
That's stylin'!

Any questions Maire? Anyone else? Bueller?

'Lainie