[Sca-cooks] Looking for Blanc manger translations (or Arab versions?)

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 13 05:06:51 PDT 2006

Tallan Family wrote:
> Also, in her article "Sorting through the Titles of Medieval Dishes:
> What Is, or Is Not, a "Blanc manger", Constance Hieatt says "no known
> Arabic culinary text  of the period has anything corresponding to the
> European'blanc manger'". I'm certainly no scholar of medieval Arabic
> cuisine and, scholar that she is, it's not Ms. Hieatt's speciality
> either. Can anyone who focuses on that cuisine confirm this?
> David Tallan (SCA Thomas)

Have you read "Venice, the Spice Trade and Eastern Influences on
European Cooking" which
appears in Medieval Arab Cookery? The book was released at 6 years after
Hieatt did her paper
and at least 20 years after C. Anne Wilson did her early paper on the
Saracen influences in
western cuisine. In the same book there appears the essay "Isfidhabaj,
Blancmanger
and no Almonds" by Charles Perry. The work has been re-released by
Prospect Books and
is available. It should be able to be interlibrary loaned.

Johnnae llyn Lewis