[Sca-cooks] OT - bologne

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Oct 19 14:06:00 PDT 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Georgia Foster wrote:

>>> And Oscar Meyer bologne? What a lot of baloney!
>
> Ewh   I so totally agree.
>
> It has often been quoted that them as what love law and/or sausages
> should not ever watch how same are made.

Let's not forget that Oscar Mayer Bologna has never known the touch
of a sausage casing: it is blorted into a mold, cooked, sliced, and
rammed into that packaging material. There is, in fact, mortadella di
bologna that's made with real meat, and is edible, but it's not
always easy to come by and not cheap.

It's probably also worth remembering that Bismarck (who made the
statement quoted about laws and sausages) was sort of responsible for
the quality of both, in the long run...

> I agree with that too.
>
> I made the mistake once of watching a documentary on how
> 'lunchmeat' is made.  I still shiver when I recall it.  No kidding
> I have chillbumps just thinking about it.  We used to call that
> sousemeat.

Souse meat is just a more sour version of head cheese. There's
nothing there, in theory, that'll kill ya, and if you don't want to
eat enough of an animal to justify its slaughter, there's always
vegetarianism... ;-)

> We don't eat lunchmeat at my house.  I wouln't feed hotdogs to the
> dog.

They're not intended to meet a dog's dietary requirements, but there
are, in fact, hot dogs that are simply real sausages finely ground,
made of real meat, carefully salted, spiced, and smoked.

> Lest one think that my young'uns are growing up deprived of the
> American childhood experience, we do cook hotdogs on the campfire.
> They are a compromise usually bratwurst or even sometimes
> cheddarwurst, but we call ‘em hotdogs.  We wrap ‘em in wheat buns,
> because mom don’t buy white bread anything.

One of the more successful dietary initiatives we've implemented here
is whole grain bread and even whole wheat pasta, which Evil Spawn
will cheerfully eat, although he draws the line at bulgur and kasha.

> Lordy what a food snob I have become in my auld-age.

Maybe. I try to remember that bad quality is the enemy, and
generally, no particular type of food is inherently of bad quality
unless it's badly chosen or badly prepared.

Adamantius