[Sca-cooks] looking for simple german vigil chow

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 20 19:05:46 PDT 2006

Gwen Cat suggested:
<<< Sausage (like bratwurst) cut into bite size bits
served with mustard is perfectly acceptable food.
(though most of the sausages in Rumpolt are smoked,
bratwurst is found in other period German sources.) >>>

Something that would seem to go well with sausage, and seems to have
been rather common in medieval Germany would be chopped cabbage/
sauerkraut dishes. And this should be easy to make ahead and
transport to the sites mentioned:

sauerkraut-msg    (36K)  9/25/05    Period sauerkraut and pickled
cabbage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/sauerkraut-msg.html

<<< He lists capers and olives among his side dishes, and
sugar comfits as dainties too.  >>>

These sound like good additions as well.

I was thinking that some German pastries of some type might be good
for this, but I don't seem to have any files specific to German
pastries. Perhaps jumbals or pretzels?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas