[Sca-cooks] Ubiquity? of bulk wines (was RE: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 6, Issue 81)

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 30 12:28:31 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
< < < < < SNIP > > > > > It's possible that there's a greater range of
quality available to
us, as wine buyers who don't necessarily live in wine country,
between recent preservation, packaging, and transportation methods.
Lots of people don't realize that a lot of French vin ordinaire is
sold in plastic or waxed paper cartons like milk in the supermarket,
in France. This is not the best wine by any means.

However, it still may be somewhat better than the lowest of the low
sold in boxes here.

Adamantius  > > > > >

Word on the street is that "Table Wines" or "house wines" in America are
more and more available in bulk packaging as advances in our packaging
technology ovetake our (American) particular prejudices against boxes and
plastic containers.  Some very good wines are reportedly being sold to the
foodservice industry in boxes and other vaccuum sealed dispensers.  We get
better than bottom-end wine and it keeps for much longer without oxidation.
That way, restaurants can serve more varieties of wines affordably by the
glass by not paying outrageously for waste.

niccolo