[Sca-cooks] Martha Washington's pound cake

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 30 23:40:58 PST 2006

Johnnae mentioned:
<<< There's a pound cake recipe (actually it calls for 2 pounds each of
butter, flour, sugar, plus eggs, rosewater, and 2 pounds of currants)
in Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. The manuscripts that
make up the book are dated as Tudor-Jacobean or roughly 1580-1625
by the editor Karen Hess. These are baked in buttered pans, but the size
is not stated. See recipe S 149, pages 314-315.
You might be able to add spices to that. >>>

This sounds interesting. My wife and I recently bought two different
bundt pans and it might be nice to try this recipe, with Thanksgiving
and various pot lucks and family get-togethers coming up.

However, I don't have this cookbook. While I have another message
from Johnnae in the cakes-msg file in the Florilegium mentioning this
recipe, I don't think I have this recipe in the Florilegium.

Can someone please post this recipe? And since I've never made a
pound cake before, and I suspect that adapting this recipe to a
modern oven and mixers may not be that straight-forward, a redaction
would be most helpful.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------