[Sca-cooks] *Sigh* That tomato thing - again

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 2 12:41:52 PDT 2006

The problem is not the inclusion of the tomato, but the selective use of
facts.  In terms of historic intrepretation, there is a big difference
between "tomatoes were eaten in Europe in the 16th Century" and "tomatoes
were grown and appear to have been eaten, at least occasionally, in Spain
and Italy."  Without modification, the first statement is open to extreme
misinterpretation.  In addition, people who do not have a grasp of the facts
are likely to spread misinformation, while those who are knowledgeable are
likely to question everything else the source says.  I still question how
far I can trust the accuracy of an individual who threw an off-hand but
incorrect remark about potatoes into a paper on furnishings.

When historical fact is claimed, one has an obligation to veracity and
accuracy.  In a demo, where we are meeting the educational goals of the SCA,
we should strive to be correct and transparent in our facts and
inpretations.

BTW, I don't use "authenticity" in relation to the SCA as everything is
"authentic" something (I don't necessarily know what).  I choose to use
gradiations of the terms "historically accurate" and "historically
inaccurate" in relation to known facts.

Bear