[Sca-cooks] Age of Choivalry was *Sigh* That tomato thing - again

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 2 13:03:13 PDT 2006

> QUERY 1:  How does one actual distinguish whether one is learning factual
> or
> ficticious/wishful without actual book-reading, documented research?

You might ask someone who was skilled in that sort of thing to do your fact
checking (a truly Medieval way of handling the situation).  Or you might dig
into the Florilegium for information on a subject and use that as the
Cliff's Notes for the debate.

> QUERY 2:  Does the "Age of Chivalry" refer to behaviors or a general
> timeframe in Western European (basically) history?  Just getting our
> difinitions stright aw we go.  I want to be sure I am looking at the same
> thing you are.
>
> niccolo

Both.  The Age of Chivalry is the Age of the Horse from the inception of the
iron stirrup around 700 through about 1500, when firepower turned knights
into targets.  The behaviors that help define the Age of Chivalry are based
on the feudal obligations that made the knight the powerful figure of the
age.  I tend to think of the end of the Age of Chivalry as being 1513, when
Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince and Other Discourses, the antithesis of the
chivalric ideal, was published.

Bear