[Sca-cooks] *Sigh* That tomato thing - again

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 2 13:31:27 PDT 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 3:56 PM, otsisto wrote:

> De: If you reread the line I am not saying that people do this but
> because
> of atmosphere and emphasis of "must document" there is a fear that
> someone
> will come up to you and be in your face about it.

This fear is also something I've never run across in a long time.
Could we be projecting to some extent? There is no "must document"
emphasis; only a "if you're going to take the trouble to make a
statement, you should be able to go further and substantiate it if
you expect your words to be taken seriously" emphasis. This isn't an
artificial standard for SCA research wanks, or even an academic's
thing: it's just basic reasoning.

>> De: The first line with the beer I think, is a wee bit insulting.
>
> Really? It's a fairly common expression denoting a primary interest in
> having a good time over learning (generally what actually happens
> is both,
>
> De: I have heard "I'm here for the beer and chips" and not in SCA
> context.
> So now I understand the quote. :)

My pleasure ;-). I had no idea it would cause such confusion!

> * and far less insulting than accusing people of denigrating,
> bashing or
> Naziism.
>
> De: Agree.

I thought it was fairly innocuous, except, perhaps, if the listener
finds beer somehow immoral, or just hates the stuff.

> Sure. The Trayned Bandes, or the Plantagenet Society, or any of a
> number of
> other groups, are over that way... but who's presenting the
> SCA in that way?
>
> De: I am not sure who but I run across quite a few people who seem
> to have
> that impression of SCA. Note, I not saying your doing this.

That's interesting. I've seen a lot more of the impression that we're
posers with a penchant for bad academics. I guess it depends on who
you hang out with the rest of your free time ;-).

Adamantius