[Sca-cooks] Age of Chivalry was *Sigh* That tomato thing - again

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 2 20:25:55 PDT 2006

As I recall, Ras's Nouveau Cuisine begins earlier than that with the change
in spicing that shows up in the first half of the 15th Century, demarking a
change from Medieval into Renaissance cooking.  The New World foods just
widen the gap.

Historically, the trade in foodstuffs between the New and Old Worlds is
rather fascinating, because it marks a change in the foods actually in use
both in Europe and the Americas and the marginalization of some foods
previously in use in those regions.  (Ras's Nouveau Cuisine if you will.)
The change is rather fascinating.

The opening of European trade with India in 1502 is a third occurrence that
further widens the change.

Bear