[Sca-cooks] pimps and harlots omelet?

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Mon Oct 2 22:16:19 PDT 2006

Hi all from Anne-Marie

Someone referred to the recipe below and asked me if it was period. I have
to admit I'm not familiar with the source mentioned in the tertiary docs and
you will note that they don't include the original translation so I cant
check it for accuracy.

Any ideas where this comes from?
Thanks!

Orange omelette for pimps and harlots
(recipes to accompany CD 'Food, Wine and Song - Music and Feasting in
Renaissance Europe') The Orlando Consort, 2001
The creator of this inviting recipe was a German chef, John of Bockenheim in
the service of Pope Martin V circa 1430. The song it accompanies, Von Eyren,
celebrates the versatility of eggs, but why it was considered only suitable
for ladies of the night and their 'managers' we can only guess. Sweet
omelettes seem to have fallen out of favour in recent timer, which is a pity
as they make excellent quick desserts.
Serves 2

1 sweet orange, grated zest and squeezed juice
(or 1 heaped tablespoon marmalade)
2 large free range eggs
a good pinch sea salt
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon light olive oil
a good knob of butter

1. Beat the zest and juice with the eggs, salt and sugar. (If using just
marmalade instead of orange omit the salt and sugar)

2. Heat the oil and butter in a medium size omelette pan, about 20cm
diameter, until you can feel a good heat rise. Make sure the butter doesn't
burn.

3. Pour in the orange-y egg and swirl to coat. Cook over a medium heat,
drawing the lightly set egg mixture in towards the centre with a fork or
spatula to let the runny egg slip over and cook. Repeat until the whole
mixture is lightly set.

4. Hold the pan over a warmed dinner plate and roll the omelette on to the
plate, or serve folded in half