[Sca-cooks] Late SCA-Period Sweets?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 6 20:53:39 PDT 2006

Peter Brears made use of this list in his famous article
for the 1st Leeds Symposium which was published as 'Banquetting Stuffe'.
The list is originally from
The Academy of Armory, by Randle Holme
The book was printed for the author, 1688.
from Section III, pg 80

1. March-pan set with several sorts of Sweet-Meats.

2. Preserves or wet Sweet-Meats in Plates as, Pears, Plums, Cherries,
Quinces, Grapes Respass, Pippins, Oranges, Lemmons, young Walnuts,
Apricocks, Peaches, &c. with their Syrup about them.

3. Dried Sweet-meats & Suckets of Oranges Lemmons Citron: or Conserves,
or Candies, and Rock-Candies of Cherries, Apricocks, Plums, Damasius,
Pippins, Pears, Angelica, Rosemary and Marygold Flowers, Pippins, Pears,
Apricocks, Plums, Ringo roots: or Marmalet of Quinces, Damasins, Plums,
Oranges, Pastes made of Citron: Pippins, Apricocks, Rasbery, English
Currans.

4. Bikets, Mackroons, naple Bisket, Italian Bisket, Comfeits round,
Longs and Loseng like, Gingerbread, Al|mond Cakes, Apricock Cakes,
Losenges, Quince Chips, Orange cakes, Marchpane Collops.

5. Sugar cakes, Iamballs, Iemelloes, Sugar Plate, Plum and Rasbury
cakes, Cheese cakes.

6. Tree Fruit as Apples and Pears of diverse kinds, Che|ries, Plums,
Strawberies, Currans, Ra•pes, Walnut, Chestnuts, Filbernuts, Dates,
Graps, Figgs, Oranges, Lemmons, Apricocks, Peech, Dried Raisins and
Currans, Prunes, Almonds blanched

According as the season is for them, all which several things are mixt
and interchangably set on the Table according to the discription of the
Gentleman Sewer.

This is what your late Elizabethan and Jacobean banquet might have
contained.

See also
http://home.comcast.net/~iasmin/mkcc/MKCCfiles/RoseTournament2002Desserts.html

for something along these lines that I did just prior to tearing up the
knee in June 2002.

Johnnae