[Sca-cooks] Mujadara vs. muzawwara, related or not?

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Oct 9 10:28:54 PDT 2006

>All the two dishes really have in common is the lentils, but I am
>wondering if mujadara evolved from muzawwara, or if rice was ever
>included in muzawwara in places where it was more plentiful. Or if
>you served it with plain rice and just spooned the muzawwara over it.

I don't know enough Arabic to know if the spelling difference
matters, but I suspect not.  I've seen mujadarrah, megadara,
mgadarrah.  Just like hummus means chickpea, not necessarily dip of
chickpea and tahini, I suspect that mujadara  means lentil rather
than a specific dish.  Modern recipes seem mixed between using rice
or bulgar, Perhaps the dish started as just lentils and onions, and
went in different directions from there.  "Food of the poor" mujadara
was probably served with flat bread, not rice.

Ranvaig