[Sca-cooks] Cotignac Was: Late SCA-Period Sweets?

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 9 11:08:54 PDT 2006

> > Speaking of cotignac, is there a trick?  When I cook down quinces (or
> > Japanese quinces) I get something like applesauce.  Is cotignac made
>from
> > the strained juice?  The references I've seen don't seem to say that.
> >
> > Sandra

>Yup...pretty much what I got.  So what I did was to cook it longer, then
>spread it out in a flat pan...and left it to dry out.  Which it seemed
>to do after several days.  Surely I've missed something?
>
>Kiri

Hmm, I've never tried it without honey or sugar.  The recipe from Menagier
de Paris uses honey.  That takes longer.  IF you've added extra sugar (or
honey) and IF the quinces aren't too overripe then it's just like making jam
but boiled down a little more.  Use the full pulp, not just juice.   If you
cook it until a wooden spoon pulled arcoss the bottom of the pan leaves a
track for about 2 seconds, it will usually set up as soon as it's cool.  I
use a baking sheet with a light coating of cooking spray, sprinkled with
sugar.  Though I'd love to get a more period mold someday.

Femke