[Sca-cooks] Smoked Meats in general

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 9 12:09:30 PDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 2:51 PM, charding at nwlink.com wrote:

> I have been reading a book called  Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting,
> Smoking, and Curing by Thomas Keller, Michael Ruhlman, and Brian
> Polcyn
>
> It goes thru the theory and practice of preserving meats.  It
> covers some
> of the questions that have been brought up on this topic.  I am
> inspired
> to do some preserving, as soon as the pigs at the farm down the
> road are
> slaughtered.

Jane Grigson's "The Art of Making Sausages, Patés and Other
Charcuterie" is another excellent one.

If the Keller book touches on any of the historical aspects, be aware
that he's a modern chef, just as Joseph Vehling was, and as when
Madeline Kammen said in one of her otherwise excellent books that
Taillevent cooked with chilis ("long peppers"), some of it may need
to be taken with *ahem* a grain of salt.

But for technique, most of these books will be just fine.

Adamantius