[Sca-cooks] Favorite Spice Containers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 9 16:28:10 PDT 2006

Phlip asked:
  <<< Of course, when in doubt, drop back and punt ;-) How did they
actually
deal with this in period? I'm thinking that spices were ground to each
usage, rather than stored as a powder for any length of time. >>>

I'm sorry if this is now beating a dead horse, as there have been
many replies here about modern spice storage, but this file in the
PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium has some
information on how spices were packaged and transported in period, as
well as a bunch of commentary on modern spice storage techniques.

spice-storage-msg (24K)  5/13/06    Period and modern spice storage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-storage-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas