[Sca-cooks] Roses was Late SCA-Period Sweets?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 10 17:58:23 PDT 2006

Greetings, Johnnae:

>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>>  There's a recipe in Digby for a barm raised spice cake - and
>>Johnnae has actually cooked it - that could work in the bundt pan.
>>And it could be coated with a "period" icing recipe -snipped
>>I want the food to be from "SCA-period" recipes - yes, i am using
>>the word in its general sense - i'm aiming for theme, not a
>>specific culture and/or date.

>Theme wise
>there's this book Sugar Roses for Cakes
>by Peck, Tombi; Dunn, Alan; Warren, Tony
>which contains virtually every kind of rose decoration that can be
>applied to a cake, as well as sugar roses in bouquets, sprays,
>posies, and for table arrangements. Sugar Roses for Cakes includes
>templates and features collections of all different kinds of roses:
>wild, climber, rambling, traditional varieties and the various
>modern roses, from full blown modern blooms to delicate, five-petal
>wild roses.

Hmm, if these are modern frosting type roses, i don't think i'd have
the skill, and i'm trying to make things mostly historical.. but i
could make them of colored marzipan. I'll see if the library has it...

>Actually my cake is based on the ale barm cake in MWBooke of Cookery.

Oops. Well, then i saw a similar recipe in Digby - he's got a fair
amount of sweets, and i've been reading him. I've got the Martha
Washington book, too, but i haven't delved into it yet.

>There are a number of these great cakes that can be found.
>My article on sugar icing on MK Cooks and in the Florilegium
>goes into icing.

Already downloaded it :-)

You (and several other who have their own folders in my Rose Ball
folder) are a great resource :-)

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita