[Sca-cooks] period fruit pastes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 12 16:13:15 PDT 2006

Selene suggested:
<<< It would work but your budget would be much better off if you
started with
frozen fruit and plain sugar.  Alton Brown says it's okay. [No
really, he
did, in the episode "Urban Preservation" that aired yesterday evening.]
Frozen fruit may be the winning way for you, since it is usually
broken down
into manageable chunks as necessary before freezing.>>>

Good point. You don't need the best looking, prime fruit for this and
the freezing would actually break down the cell walls and help create
usable fruit pulp. If anyone has frozen some fruit from last year's
harvest, that might work as well.

<<< I have grapes to pick this weekend.  My parents' neighbor planted
grapes
many decades ago and they went wild all over OUR northwest corner.
Not that
this is a bad thing.  I plan to pick a buckefull of the admittedly
small and
seedy fruit and see what I can do with it.>>>

If you can strain out the seeds that sounds like an excellent use for
these grapes. Picking out the seeds and avoiding eating them is one
of things I dislike about seeded fruits. At least the ones where the
seeds are a substantial portion of the fruit.

Are these New World or Old World varieties of grapes? Are these ripe?
Or are you going to be making verjuice?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas