[Sca-cooks] OT - Somewhat amusing in light of recent healthy food rants

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 19 12:11:32 PDT 2006

"Anne-Marie Rousseau" <dailleurs at liripipe.com>
>When I was in london last fall, I remember seeing a TV program with Jamie
>Oliver on this, and I remember thinking "egads, he is SO Not doing this the
>right way". I mean, sure, there's cache in having a world famous chef do
>your lunch menu, but its only cache for the parents.

"Cache" is a storage or hiding place, or what is found in such a
place. It is a single syllable word, even if members of the US
military doesn't seem to realize this. It is pronounced like the
English word "cash".

"Cachet" is a special positive quality assigned to a word, a thing,
or a person. It is a two syllable word. It is pronounced "cash-ay".
This is clearly what you meant, unless you want to keep Jamie
squirreled away where no one can find him :-)

Sorry. When people write that something "peaked their interest", when
they mean "piqued", i realize how much we hear and don't read, so
don't know how to spell.

I have been guilty, too. It was quite a while before i realized that
the verbal, musical, or theatrical link between two different things
was not spelled "segway" - it's actually "seque" - there should be an
accent aigue over the final e, but we generally don't bother with
such things in English. And i didn't realize that the written word
"seque" was not pronounced "seeg".

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita