[Sca-cooks] OT - Somewhat amusing in light of recent healthy food rants

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Oct 19 12:28:55 PDT 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 3:11 PM, Lilinah wrote:

> "Anne-Marie Rousseau" <dailleurs at liripipe.com>
>> When I was in london last fall, I remember seeing a TV program
>> with Jamie
>> Oliver on this, and I remember thinking "egads, he is SO Not doing
>> this the
>> right way". I mean, sure, there's cache in having a world famous
>> chef do
>> your lunch menu, but its only cache for the parents.
>
> "Cache" is a storage or hiding place, or what is found in such a
> place. It is a single syllable word, even if members of the US
> military doesn't seem to realize this. It is pronounced like the
> English word "cash".
>
> "Cachet" is a special positive quality assigned to a word, a thing,
> or a person. It is a two syllable word. It is pronounced "cash-ay".
> This is clearly what you meant, unless you want to keep Jamie
> squirreled away where no one can find him :-)
>
> Sorry. When people write that something "peaked their interest", when
> they mean "piqued", i realize how much we hear and don't read, so
> don't know how to spell.
>
> I have been guilty, too. It was quite a while before i realized that
> the verbal, musical, or theatrical link between two different things
> was not spelled "segway" - it's actually "seque" - there should be an
> accent aigue over the final e, but we generally don't bother with
> such things in English. And i didn't realize that the written word
> "seque" was not pronounced "seeg".

One of the lesser-known aphorisms of UseNet (probably the best-known
being never to use the n-word that denotes ultra-right-wing extremism
to describe the behavior of anyone just because you feel they're
trying to infringe on your right to be a doofus, or some such, ;-)  )
is that it's generally a bad idea, and sometimes something of a self-
fulfilling curse, to worry too much about other people's spelling or
grammatical errors, because 99 times out of a hundred, you end up
making one yourself almost immediately.

How is "segway" really spelled? I make this kind of bloomer myself
all the time. I think it's because I know how to spell, but my eyes
and fingers don't always obey <g>.

Adamantius