[Sca-cooks] looking for simple german vigil chow

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 20 07:15:27 PDT 2006

Kathleen A Roberts wrote:
> good morning.
>
> the husband of a former student of mine (sadly passed away
> shortly after her laureling) is about to receive his
> laurel for bowery (don't know how to spell it -- making
> archery schtuff).  it came about quite suddenly but in no
> way undeserved.  the ceremony is nov. 12.
>
> i am looking for some simple, period preferred, german
> recipes for the vigil chow, as his persona is early
> german.
>
> i don't have a lot of time, neither of us has a lot of
> money and conveniences are going to be interesting (one
> vigil in the park at fighter practice for the folks at
> home and one in a hotel room the night before the event).
>  however, i do have a chest freezer, so things that can be
> frozen would be cool as well... no pun intended.
>
> any and all help is appreciated.
>
> cailte

I made Master Tirloch's Hungarian Chicken for his vigil...cut the
chicken breasts up into bite-sized pieces and supplied toothpicks to
pick the pieces up with.

(Auff Ungerisch gelb Henne) Hungarian Chicken

6 C chicken broth
2 Granny Apples, with skins on and chopped into small chunks
1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped into small chunks
3 limes – juice only
1 T salt
1 T ground black pepper
8 boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 C cider vinegar 1 C Riesling white wine
1 g saffron – crushed
1/4 C sugar

In a large pot, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the
chopped apples and onion and add the lime juice. When the apples and
onions are soft, add the cider and wine. Add the crushed saffron. Add 1
T ground black pepper, 1 T salt and the sugar.

Stir. Add the chicken breasts and simmer until done. Chickens will be
golden yellow when they are ready. Serve over bed of greens with the
cooked apples and onions
surrounding the chicken. Serves 8.

>From Gwen Cat….SCA Cooks’ List. Tirloch did the original transcription
from old German!

Hope this helps!

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn