[Sca-cooks] 10th C. Cornish?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 23 07:11:53 PDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 9:51 AM, grizly wrote:

> Sounds like you need a definition of terms.  What does someone
> actually mean
> by 12th c. Italian when there was no Italy, but Papal States,
> Independent
> states and some Empire lands?  Do they mean the peninsula we now
> know as
> Italy, or the various lands controlled by the various powers around
> that
> area in 1200's?  Think the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine
> Empire and
> the various lands held by whoever had Sicily that week.

There might also be something in an early Islamic source that might
be justifiable. I suspect that this is a question inspired by a
pretty specific loophole, or at least it would be a loophole if it
were the solution... if you follow.

>   Same with the Cornish . . . was there a Cornwall per se in the
> 10th c. ?

As with Italy, the land, language and culture existed, if not
necessarily political sovereignty. This is probably something the
challenger doesn't expect to get a lot of response. Fried salt
herring with mustard?

> Also get clarification as to what 12th centruey means . . .
> Europeans and
> Americans use that differently, one is 100's and one is 1200's.

Here, I've got to disagree with you. I don't think most people that
take history seriously to any extent would consider calling the
1200's the 12th century. Let's not blame this on the Americans; it's
just wrong wherever you encounter it. I sincerely _hope_ the person
setting up contest criteria isn't using the term in that way.

Adamantius