[Sca-cooks] 10th C. Cornish?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 23 10:14:43 PDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 12:47 PM, Cat Dancer wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>> On Oct 23, 2006, at 9:51 AM, grizly wrote:
>>
>>> Also get clarification as to what 12th centruey means . . .
>>> Europeans and
>>> Americans use that differently, one is 100's and one is 1200's.
>>
>> Here, I've got to disagree with you. I don't think most people that
>> take history seriously to any extent would consider calling the
>> 1200's the 12th century. Let's not blame this on the Americans; it's
>> just wrong wherever you encounter it. I sincerely _hope_ the person
>> setting up contest criteria isn't using the term in that way.
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> Actually, in some European countries, most notably Germany, that
> *is* how
> they designate time periods.

Does their calendar start at 100 CE? I think it's more a matter or
repeating something erroneous enough times and it becomes accepted as
correct.

I could actually see someone sitting down and saying, essentially,
this is approximately as hard to figure out as the old British
currency system; we'd better set an arbitrary "simplified" standard.
But I never expected to see a simplified calendar laid out in dog
years ;-)

Adamantius