[Sca-cooks] Red Wine for Game Marinade

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 29 06:21:40 PST 2006

Despite the conventional wisdom of "never cook with anything you would not
drink," the qualities sought in a cooking wine are not necessarily the same
ones you want in a drinking wine.

My answer is, cheap jug wine.  Cheap is OK here and will make the budget go
further.  If it has a harsh acidity, that is just fine because it will have
the tenderizing effect on the game meats which they so dearly need. LONG
cooking will even out the flavor. I have used this at SCA feasts to good
effect.  I also use this kind of red rotgut to marinate and baste lamb,
where it undergoes a kind of sea-change, dissolves the hard fat of the lamb
and tenderizing the leg muscles into lusciousness.

Depending on how much it smoothes out, you might not need much vinegar if
any;  treat it as a condiment and use it to taste.  Any jokes about "Bambi
Bourguignon" should be made at your own risk.

Bon Appetit,
Selene