[Sca-cooks] Wine in cooking -- was, Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 6, Issue 81

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Oct 29 09:56:19 PST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 11:58 AM, Lisa wrote:

> I've made a venison pepper stew several times that requires wine
> for the
> marinade.  The first time I made it I used the cheapest burgundy I
> could
> find, and it tasted great.  Several years later, I used a more
> expernsive
> burgundy and to be honest, I'll stick with the cheap burgundy
> lol... the
> expensive version totally changed the taste of the dish and not for
> the
> better in my opinion.
>
> Elizabeta

That can happen. Price isn't always a guarantee of quality, and often
subtle flavors in the profile of a fine wine just don't show up in
the presence of certain seasonings, strong-flavored ingredients like
venison, or long cooking.

Another consideration is, are you really certain that the brand of
wine was the only thing you did differently?

Adamantius