[Sca-cooks] Smoked Meats in Northern Europe

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Oct 6 09:51:10 PDT 2006

Greetings all,
            I have a question for the knowledgeable assembly:
            What woods would have been used to smoke meats and fish in
Northern Europe around the turn of the millennium?  I am planning a
Viking Feast for my class, and I'll be doing some smoked salmon.  Since
I have access to the Viking Culinary School's kitchens, we have a
stovetop smoker that comes with 6 choices of wood 'chips' (they are more
like wood confetti), so I have options for the wood smoke flavor I
impart.  My choices (although they may not all be in stock when I go in
to do this) are:  maple, poplar, alder, hickory, oak and cherry.

            I am pretty sure maples are New World only, and I know
cherries were a part of the Norse diet.  Obviously oak was around, but
I'm not sure about poplar, alder, or hickory.
            Thanks for being such a vast wealth of knowledge!
            Christianna