[Sca-cooks] The Backyard Lumberjack

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 10 23:10:31 PDT 2006

Bear mentioned:
  <<< Hmmm, I can relate.  A number of years ago we had to take down
a 50 foot
pecan tree in the backyard.  It took three years to find a sawyer to
take the 3 to 3 1/2 foot diameter 7 foot long main trunk.  >>>

So, how did you move and transport it to the mill to get it cut into
boards?  Or did the sawyer come out and cut it in place? Or into
several large chunks and take that to the mill?

 > and a really WEIRD one - The Backyard Lumberjack
 >
 >    Devra the Baker

I was a bit disappointed that it dealt mainly with using modern
chainsaws. I was hoping for more on how this kind of job was done
with saws, axes and similar tools. Perhaps a book on historic
lumbering in American history or some such is what I should look for
sometime.  I have used two-man cross-cut saws and double-bit axes to
cut down and up two and three foot diameter logs, so I can understand
the preference for chainsaws, but sometimes it is nice to know how it
is done with the older tools. And that would be closer to how it was
done in the period we study.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas