[Sca-cooks] Begging a Boon: Was: Great News

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 5 05:18:37 PDT 2006

Maire asked:
>General question: what is this "begging a boon" thing? Is it part of the
>elevation ceremony in some kingdoms? I've not seen it done here in
>Artemisia, that I remember.

In the Middle Kingdom (and a number of others), a member of the Order will
come into Court and will say "Your Majesties, I beg a boon."  The Crown
responds with words similar to "Ask, and if it be a right and proper thing
and within Our power, it shall be yours."  Then the petitioner says
something like "I ask that X be admitted to the Order of Y..."  There may
be more words on either end.  All three of the Peerages ask the Crown in
this fashion to admit a new member to the particular Order.

The Crown then asks the Herald to call forth the members of that specific
Order.  When everyone has come forward, the Crown says something similar to
"Is it your wish that X be admitted to the Order of Y?"  Usually there is a
very loud affirmative.  It is uncouth and impolitic to say "Nay".  If a
member is in disagreement with the Crown's decision, that person should
absent him/herself prior to that Court or else just kneel/stand there
silently.  (It is the Crown's decision who is admitted to any Order,
according to Midrealm custom and tradition.  The Order is polled.  If the
response is for no elevation and the Crown decides to go ahead anyway -
well, that's happened, but rarely.)

The candidate is then called forward.  In the Midrealm the person is
generally put "on vigil" with elevation to occur at a different event.
However, the person could be put on vigil at a Morning Court and elevated
in the Evening Court.  (My Laurel happened that way.)  Less frequently
nowadays the person is elevated right then and there.

I'm thinking that in those kingdoms that do Writs (such as AEthelmearc),
there isn't much "begging a boon".  Is that correct?

Anyone can ask the Crown for a boon but in the Midrealm it generally
indicates that a Peerage is forthcoming.  And, at least in the Midrealm, no
one should be called into Court and beg a boon without previously informing
the Crown what was coming.  One major rule in Court is "Never surprise the
Crown!"

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com