[Sca-cooks] Re; marshmallows

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 6 06:21:50 PDT 2006

Huette wrote:
As much as I like marshmallows, I hate marshmallows on sweet potatoes... Too
much sweetness... My version of candied yams is to take a large can of yams,
drain them, put them in a buttered casserole dish, add salt and pepper, some
butter and top them with some orange marmalade, mixed with some triple sec.
And bake in an 350 degree oven for 30 min. Everyone seems to like them.

I detest marshmallows in my yams too. I make mine savory with butter,
molasses or brown sugar, salt and powdered garlic. I know, the garlic
doesn't sound so good, but it really is. It keeps the yams from getting too
cloying and adds depth to the flavor. I tried it on a whim a few years ago,
and decided I liked it (garlic and I don't often get along).

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.