[Sca-cooks] Yams, Pumpkins, Pecan Pie

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 6 13:16:51 PDT 2006

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Thanks to all who have sent recipes for a pecan pie or other pecan
> desserts. I'm trying to avoid corn syrup, too, although brown sugar,
> molasses, maple sugar, or sorghum are ok with me...
>
> They may say "sweets to the sweets"... but, me, i'm in it for the nuts.
>
> Now, back when my 25 year old daughter was about 2, i cooked a
> Thanksgiving dinner for a number of foreign students (for which my
> mother punished me because i wasn't at her house). For that dinner i
> made a dessert that sort of combined aspects of a Charlotte and a
> Bavarian. I lined a spring form pan with ladyfingers (the cake sort,
> not the Middle Eastern or South Asian sorts* :-) Then i put a layer
> of broken pecans with some brown sugar and spices on the bottom. Then
> i made a pumpkin mousse (without gelatin) and poured that in. It was
> quite good. Apparently my brother and his family will rebel if i
> served such a thing.

This sounds wonderful.  I, on the other hand, love pecan pie.  However,
there was a bakery here in Prince Frederick several years back that made
a pecan pie that included cranberries (the dried kind) in the pecan
mixture that went on top.  And somehow, her filling wasn't quite as
sweet...so that, between the topping and the not-quite-so-sweet filling,
the pie was "to die for!!"

I do have a recipe for a pecan scroll cookie that's pecans, a little
flour, butter and brown sugar that was my mother's.  I don't have the
recipe right at hand, but, if you're interested, can send it on later.

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn