[Sca-cooks] My Next Feast

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 7 03:54:49 PDT 2006

There is also an "herb" soup or pottage of greens that appears in Martino.
Pottage of Greens
Take some chard leaves and a little borage and boil in clear water
that is already boiling when you add them and finely chop with a knife.
Take a bit of parsley and raw mint and similarly chop with the other
herbs. They grind well in a mortar and add to some fatty broth in
a pot and simmer for a short while. If desired, you can add pepper.
Martino. The Art Of Cooking. Trans. Jeremy Parzen. 2005. p. 70-71.

Redacted versions appear in that book as well as in The Medieval Kitchen.

Johnnae

I happen to like Brodo of Chickpeas and Zanzarelli (a kind of egg drop soup)
both from Master Martino de Rossi.

Bear

Kathleen A Roberts wrote on 9/5/2006 4:51 PM