[Sca-cooks] Pie Shapers: Was Speaking of Beets

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 7 05:54:43 PDT 2006

Cealian asked:

>I always wondered if a wood cut could have been used like a mold to
>obtain panels for the sides and possibly tops of some great pies.
>Simply because some of the pictures of great pies showing
>scenes seem a little to well sculpted and clean lined to have been done by
>hand repeatedly.

When we made chewets in Ivan Day's course last April he used a pie "former"
or "shaper" around which we pressed the dough to make specific sizes and
shapes.  Of course, experience with years of shaping coffins would tend to
lead to uniformity.  As to the top, I've seen lovely designs done by hand,
but that doesn't mean that the design wasn't cut out using cutters for
leaves, etc., which he or someone else at another course demonstrated.

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/