[Sca-cooks] OT (semi): unexpected foodie reference

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Sep 8 11:41:58 PDT 2006

On 9/8/06, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> A friend of mine who is a writer actually sent me an article clipped
> from, I believe, the LA Times (it might actually have been by Charles
> Perry; I'll have to go look at it if it hasn't crumbled by now), but
> IIRC it featured a blow-by-blow account of McGee doing battle with
> the question of whether you can speed up the roasting of chickens or
> baking potatoes by sticking various heat-conductive spiky things
> (like nails) in them...
>
> Adamantius

Well, putting a nail in artually works, although aluminum works better
than iron.

Several years ago, when I was housesitting for Father Tony, his mother
Rose(90+) was there, too, and I was cooking us all dinner- his mother,
me, and the substitute priest. I was running late, and spiked the
potatoes so they'd cook faster. When I served, I forgot to take the
spikes out, and Rose got it into her head that someone was trying to
poison her. Since her English wasn't too good when she was upset (she
was Sicilian) we couldn't explain to her that it was OK, it just made
the potatoes cook faster. She didn't eat her potato, and told Tony all
about it when he got home... He was cool, laughed about it, but was
the last time I tried to use that technique around Rose...

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....