[Sca-cooks] Pie Shapers

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 9 05:58:59 PDT 2006

Not dumb, merely an error.  Since most of us are guilty of making similar
errors (I know I've made plenty), it's usually not a problem.  Not revising
one's ideas in the face of superior evidence--that's dumb.

Your hypothesis on molding pie shells in period isn't a bad one either, just
look at herring pie.  The questions that need to be answered are when, where
and how.  For example, I have some modern tart pans with a removeable
bottom, so the edge can be fluted and the pie seperated from the pan after
baking, which would make it a simple mold for a pie crust.  I vaguely
remember a similar pan from an illustration in Scappi's Opera.  While I
think such pans are period in origin, what other evidence can I marshall to
demonstrate they were in use in mid-16th Century Italy?  What conclusions
can I make from the evidence I have without over-reaching?  Where are the
holes in my evidence and conclusions into which I can fall?  It is the joy
of research.

Bear