[Sca-cooks] OOP - Foods with Place Names

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Sep 10 20:15:21 PDT 2006

On Sep 10, 2006, at 10:43 PM, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> On a local call-in quiz show tonight, a caller posed the question:
> Name food items that have names of places. But the place name cannot
> be a modifier. The food does not have to originate from the place.
>
> So "Hamburger" is ok, but "Brussels sprouts" is not.

"Hamburger" is a shortened form of "Hamburger steak", which term was
still occasionally used until, oh, the 30's or 40's. The "er" ending
is a giveaway, although one might argue more strongly for "Frankfurter".

> He didn't have an answer, it was just out for the listeners to come
> up with.
>
> Anyone have any more ideas?

Lessee. Do "Swedes" count?

	Turkey
	Napoleons
	Paris-Brest (again, this is a modifier, but a Gateau Paris-Brest is
sometimes just called a Paris-Brest)
	Champignons? (which name indicates, I think, they come from the
fields outside of town)
	Sandwich (arguable, but the Earl had this earldom)
	Currants
	Peach (Lat. Persicum)

Adamantius