[Sca-cooks] Cooking Tripods, Supports, Pompeii Brazier, fire height

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Sep 11 07:57:14 PDT 2006

On 9/11/06, Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 11. September 2006 16:07 schrieb Sharon Gordon:
>
> > How about metal cookware?  I have a hard time figuring out what is period
> > and what isn't.  I mean some things are easy.  I know to give the iron corn
> > shaped corn bread pan a pass :-).
>
> I know of cast and hammered copper alloy, hammered copper sheets, and
> one-piece or riveted iron kettles and pans. Kettles are usually
> round-bottomed, as are the three-legged variety made of copper alloy (like
> modern Dutch Ovens or potjies, exceprt those are of iron). I've also seen
> straight-sided, flat-bottomed copper alloy kettles, but those seem to hae
> been rarer. Pans are usually flat or nearly flat and sometimes have three
> 'legs' as well as a handle. I know of one remarkably deep, almost wok-like
> example from Braunschweig, though, and next time I hope they'll allow me to
> take a picture.

I suspect, rather like with recipe ingredients, the shape and style of
a cooking pan depends on your when/where. Follow this link to see some
copper cauldrons from the Viking era:

http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/ImageLib.html

Images 23 and 24. Also, there's trivets, #92 and #93

The Mastermyr project, many of the various pieces reproduced by
mundane blacksmiths is what I managed to get to An Tir Coronation in
July. If anyone is over there near Seattle, Baron Sven has it at the
moment- he's trying to arrange to display it at more An Tir events.

And, this Pennsic, we had a couple of informal cooking with pottery
over an open fire classes in SPCA camp. Food was pretty good, although
we rapidly discovered how sensitive pottery is to thermal shock ;-)
And, I came home with a "crock pot" and a "frying pan" made by Master
Hroar. Am very thrilled with them ;-)

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Has anyone seen my temper?
I seem to have misplaced it at Stalag XXXV....