[Sca-cooks] Cook's Prayer, was RE: 9/11 SCA cooks

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 17:28:47 PDT 2006

Saint Phlip wrote:
> Jeeze- this sounds like what Adamantius was SUPPOSED to do at the
> Barleycorn feast. Anybody wanna make him a Fred Flintstone sized
> spoon?
>
> On 9/11/06, King's Taste Productions <kingstaste at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> This isn't exactly a prayer, more like words to live by:
>>
>> "The Cook orders, regulates and is obeyed in his Kitchen; he should have
>> a chair between the buffet and the fireplace to sit on and rest if
>> necessary; the chair should be so placed that he can see and survey
>> everything that is being done in the Kitchen; he should have in his hand
>> a large wooden spoon which has a double function:  one, to test pottages
>> and brouets, and the other, to chase the children out of the Kitchen to
>> make them work, striking them if necessary."
>>

>> Memoires
>> Olivier de la Marche,
>> Maitre d'Hotel, Capitaine des Gardes to
>> Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy,
>> mid-Fifteenth Century

There's a craftsman who regularly shows up at the Midrealm Cook's
Symposium...I don't remember his name off of the top of my head, but
that's where I got the "supersized" wooden spoon I gave to my friend!
Iasmin, if you're out there...do you remember the guy I'm talking about?

Kiri

--
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm.
As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help

                        -- Audrey Hepburn