[Sca-cooks] Cook's Prayer, was RE: 9/11 SCA cooks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 12 15:38:52 PDT 2006

On Sep 12, 2006, at 4:58 PM, <tom.vincent at yahoo.com> wrote:

> And for those who have outgrown superstition:

Okay, I'll explain this clearly, once. I truly don't wish to be rude,
but I really want you to understand.

Yes, there have been some prayers and other references to others'
belief systems, but we've relied on each others' good will to
understand that it's all in a spirit of cultural education. I can't
believe anyone here expects anyone's religious beliefs to be changed
by somebody daring to acknowledge the existence of the concept in
European culture of, say, Saint Lawrence. It's not proselytizing, and
I don't think too many Muslims, Jews, Protestants of whatever
denomination, Buddhists, Hindi, Taoists, Orthodox Christians, Born-
Again Christians, Pagans, Ethical Culturists, Theosophists,
Zoroastrians, pagans of whatever sort, Manicheans or, for that
matter, Satanists, or anyone else felt sufficiently threatened by the
thread to demand equal time for an opposing viewpoint, but it was
probably pretty predictable that if anybody did, it would be you.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that nobody here is interested in
converting anyone to or from any given religion, except, perhaps, you.

The only really unfortunate part of all this is that while I'm pretty
sure Roger Zelazny was joking when he wrote the passage in question,
I doubt that you were.

Adamantius